The Bulldog Nation Foundation has awarded over $130,000 in innovation grants since its formation in 2011.
2017 Bulldog Nation Foundation Funded Grants
- Functional Physiological Skeleton for Science Classes
Dem bones, dem bones… The BNF is enhancing anatomy and biology classes by providing a complete scientific skeleton (made of durable, unbreakable plastic) that is realistic in weight and size. Students will use the skeleton to learn the functionality of the skeletal system and for 3D presentations.
- Laptops for Business Education Classes
Create, plan, present and repeat! The BNF is supporting the Business Education Department with a grant purchase of six laptops to assist students with presenting student-created business ideas as part of the Entrepreneurial course. Students will learn how to leverage technology to present their business plans to a panel of judges.
- Digital Recording Technology for Band Classes
This is on the record. The BNF is purchasing mobile digital recording technology to provide instantaneous feedback for our band students. The recording technology and updated stereo system will allow our bands to focus on student-centered learning and to develop critical thinking skills while developing advanced musicianship.
- E-Readers for Library-Media Center
Got books? School libraries are so much more than the Dewey Decimal System. The BNF is providing 10 Kindle E-Readers, 5 iPads and two 40” Monitors to continue to digitize the Library-Media Center. Students will enjoy more engagement and more personalized learning while in the heart of the school.
- Real Care Babies for Child Development and Adult Living Classes
I want my baby back, baby back, baby back …The Family and Consumer Sciences Department needs some crying babies so the BNF is obliging by providing five Real Care Babies. Students participate in a parenting simulation by learning about the real challenges of caring for a newborn baby when they are assigned to a computerized baby. Yikes.
- 21st Century Furniture for Science Class
Desks and chairs in nice, neat rows? That is so 2016. The BNF got in the furniture business by buying 18 portable, stand-up desks for a science class. Students will take an active role in designing the classroom environment depending on the learning activities for that day.
- Wireless, Digital Lighting for Theatre Arts Classes
Let’s shed some light on the matter. The BNF is illuminating the Theatre Arts Classes by securing wireless, digital lighting systems that can be used in the Auditorium or anywhere else a drama production may occur. Students will engage in new and exciting uses of lighting that will enhance the music, production value, and artistic design of all of our Fine Arts programs.
2016 Bulldog Nation Foundation Funded Grants
- Fitness Database Program for Physical Education Classes
We are going to pump you up! The BNF supports healthy living and this grant does all of that and more. The WHS Wellness Department will create an online database for each student to track their fitness progress and provide targeted exercises for improvement. This BNF awarded grant also includes 14 Samsung Galaxy Tablets and accessories to complement the fitness database program. The tablets allow the students to interface with their tracked data and fitness improvement programs in real time during class.
- Quality Repertoire for the Advancing Curriculum for Band Classes
It’s time to get the band back together, and the BNF is there to support the effort. A grant award to the WHS Fine Arts Department will allow all band students to have the opportunity to play at least one cornerstone piece of music each year of high school through a BNF purchase of twelve pieces of high quality band literature.
- Sewing Machines for Interior Design Classes
Why buy it when you can make it! The BNF is supporting the Applied Arts Department with a grant purchase of twelve sewing machines for students enrolled in the Housing and Interior Design course. Students will learn new skills while providing the opportunity to use their design creativity.
- Television/Media for Media Communication Classes
Lights, camera, action! The BNF is enhancing last year’s English Department’s awarded grant with additional technology purchases to support the Television/Media program. The 5 additional flat screen monitors with accessories will be mounted throughout the school for viewing as well as 10 computer screens to be used in the classroom for production.
- IXL for Math Classes
Donald Duck in Mathemagical Land? That is so 1970. The BNF is purchasing 300 software licenses for the Math Department to provide and for an interactive web-based math program called IXL.com. The program provides supplemental math support for every level of math from basic foundations to higher level math.
- Pear Deck for All WHS Classes
Lightning does strike twice! The Math Department also was awarded a second BNF grant to purchase a software license for Pear Deck, but this is for all WHS staff! Pear Deck is an interactive presentation tool that instantly collects data and promotes student engagement. All students can answer teacher questions in class using this software and an electronic device.
2015 Bulldog Nation Foundation Funded Grants
- iPads, movie mounts, mics, software, flat screens and other equipment for Digital Media Communication classes
Thanks to the BNF, students in the new Digital Media Communication classes use up-to-date digital equipment and software to produce a daily new cast called “The Bark”. This newscast is broadcast via newly wired flat screen tvs strategically located throughout the building. Students have the opportunity to engage in all facets of a daily news show: writing script, on-air delivery of the new cast, filming of the broadcast and editing for final viewing. “The Bark” can be seen daily at Wauconda High School by all students!
- LabQuest2s, Lenovolaptops and other equipment for Science classes
The BNF once again shows support for our future scientists who now can conduct computer-based inquiries using the LabQuest2s. Hands-on learning in both Physics and Chemistry is greatly enhanced through probeware modules that promote understanding, comprehension and application of knowledge and skills. The LabQuest2s also assist students in creating graphs and data tables for in-depth analysis and understanding. Science has never been so fun!
- DBQproject materials for Social Studies classes
The new DBQ (Data Based Questioning) learning materials provided by the BNF will not only provide enhanced learning from U.S. history to world history, but also promote better writing skills across disciplines. The DBQ materials may also be shared vertically between the high school and middle school teachers to encourage a common learning and thinking community among our grades 6-12!
- Experiment supplies for Psychology classes
For the fourth year in a row, the BNF is supporting the purchasing of experimental supplies for the high school psychology class experiments. The purchase helps to make the learning come to life and are fun for the students as well!
2014 Bulldog Nation Foundation Funded Grants
- Two short-throw projectors (technology) for Language Arts classes
- Two short-throw projectors (technology) for Mathematics classes
- Three document cameras (technology) for Social Studies classes
- Audio and video recording equipment (technology) for Drama, Theater, Band and Choir
- Novels for the study of annotation for all English 2 students
- Experiment supplies for Psychology classes
- Graphic novels on the Holocaust for US History classes
- Two short-throw projectors (technology) for Science classes
- PC-connected writing tablets (technology) for Mathematics classes
Please read our latest press release announcing its 2014 grant recipients.
2013 Bulldog Nation Foundation Funded Grants
- Fifteen iPads (technology) for Biology Classes
- Seven Thinkpads (technology) for Physics Classes
- Two Short Throw Projectors (technology) for English Classes
- One Short Throw Projector (technology) for World Language Class
- Sight Reading Books and Drummer’s Toolkit for Band Classes
- Experiment Supplies for Psychology Classes
2012 Bulldog Nation Foundation Funded Grants
- One LCD projector w/special IPAD adaptor (technology) for Biology and Physical Science Classes
- One Video and Digital Camera (technology) for Journalism Classes
- One Short Throw Interactive Projector (technology) for Anatomy, Physics, and Physical Science Classes
- Illinois Heritage Garden Materials for Biology Classes
- Five Short Throw Projectors (technology) for World Languages Classes
- One Experiment Station for Chemistry Classes
- One Interactive Smart Board (technology) for Bilingual Classes
- Experiment Supplies for Psychology Classes
- Literature Books for English Classes (students with special learning needs)
Grants will be awarded based upon merit and available funding. Grant applications should support the mission of the Bulldog Nation Foundation by supporting 21st Century classroom success through innovation in the classroom.
Any Wauconda High School staff member is eligible to apply for a grant. WHS staff grant applications are due April 30th of each year.